July 20, 2009

Yummy in My Tummy

Miracle!!!! I had to document. Hallie is such a picky eater!! Hmm.....wonder where she gets that :). Well...she WILL NOT eat any fruits or vegetables. Occasionally she'll eat an apple only if it has peanut butter on it and no peel. I have tried countless attempts and so many different ways to try and get her to even just take a teeny tiny little bite of something. But...no! She is stubborn.

So..today, we are at Target looking at home stuff and just randomly she says, "Mommy, please I want to buy some blueberries." Blueberries? ha ha! Yea Right. I'm like "Blueberries? That sounds so good! You really want some? No...you won't eat them (trying the whole reverse psychology thing)." She says, "YES! I really really want some blueberries. My tummy says, please, feed me some blueberries! And then I'll eat them and then I'll say, Mmmmmm YUMMY!" Okay? Is this my daughter? Seriously?

So Aaron takes her to get some blueberries. As I am left with Peyton thinking, "Yeah freakin right! She will not eat them!" A few minutes later, I find them in the store and Hallie is poppin them in her mouth like candy! I was shocked! She wanted to eat them all the way home, have them for lunch and after her nap today she woke up and said, "Please can I have some more blueberries! Hooray! This is a small start.

As I racked my brain trying to figure out why the heck she even thought about blueberries (we never even have them in our house), I soon figured it out. DORA!! She watched "Dora's Berry Hunt"! Genius Dora. I LOVE DORA!!!

P.S. If anybody has any helpful tips to get toddlers to not be so picky, I'll take them :).

10 comments:

McGiven Family.... said...

That is hilarious! She is so cute! I have been thinking about you a lot lately. I ran into your mom and dad the other day and they told me you are coming to Utah. I am so excited! Can we please get together?!?! I hope things are going well in Texas and you are adjusting to the heat. Let me know when you are going to be in town so we can plan something!

Carly said...

LOVE IT! Sorry no help from me. Laney is quite picky as well. I still can't understand why Hallie is so picky, I'm just having flash backs to our first meeting and a yummy Ukrainian salad. :)

Anonymous said...

Yea for blueberries! I can't get Kayla to eat anything healthy either so if you learn anything good let me know!

Dave and Tricia Folsom Family Fun said...

Lydia just started eating blueberries this week and she loves them too! It makes for some interesting diapers but what the heck - they are good for ya!
We add them to everything around here - smoothies, pancakes, muffins! I have the BEST blueberry muffin recipe (got it from Faith P.) and if you want it let me know and I will email it to you!
As for the picky eating - one thing that has seemed to work is we just keep introducing the same food. Dave loves asparagus but Lauren wouldn't even try it at first. So we just kept making it and kept saying how good it was and finally, one time when we made it she said she wanted to try it too and she liked it and now says it is her favorite and is always asking for it! Good luck though - it is definitely not easy finding food for picky little eaters!

Heidi Miller said...

Blueberries! Thats a good one to eat. Good girl. Good mommy! :) Miss you.

Natalie said...

Oh yeah, Dora all the way baby! She is so cute. You could always try my approach, although it might involve vomit. But last night I made chicken enchiladas for the first time (not the kind mom makes) and Carston ate it no problems. It was totally worth the day of torture. Can't wait for you to get here!

Anonymous said...

Try blueberries and yogurt, yummy! I like Mountain High Vanilla, if you have it there?

Scott and Beth said...

So funny! i hear your coming home soon! Let's play!

Aggieland Mom said...

Such a funny story! Alex will do things like that every once in awhile. He ate grilled salmon the other day and shocked me! I heard if you tell children that specific foods they don't eat (or prob won't like) are only special mommy and daddy food they will want it pretty bad.

Anonymous said...

heather you are the best mom ever! i love to read your stories. when i was a nanny i bought fruit popcicles and said they were a "treat" so naturally the kids always wanted them.