June 16, 2008

"Floods of 2008"

What an eventful year of weather we've had here. We've been having major flooding right now in Coralville/Iowa City. It is so crazy. So sad to see our city being destroyed. The water crested yesterday so hopefully it won't get any worse. We are lucky to be safe where we live. We've lost phone service and internet for a few days but are so blessed to have a home to still live in. Aaron's been out sandbagging everyday along with the entire community to try and save as much as possible. Basically everything is cancelled right now. Church, the entire University of Iowa (15 buildings were flooded) and medical school are cancelled this whole week due to flooding. Aaron has been working in Cedar Rapids for the past 3 weeks at a clinic there. They had even worse flooding there. What used to take only 25 miles to get there, would now take him 275 miles to get there with detours! Pretty crazy! So lucky us that we get Aaron all week! Here's some pics of the flooding that are not far at all from where we live.





These are all pics of the strip that we drive on to get everywhere (school, hospital, church, etc.)


Baseball field where Aaron plays every Wednesday.
This picture makes me cry. This is our most favorite pizza place here. It is divine!
Sonic. I guess no more Strawberry Cream Slushes for a while. How sad that they didn't finish building this not too long ago.
This is the park where we always go to take Hallie to see the ducks. These are the top of the Ferris wheels.





16 comments:

Lindsay Ercanbrack said...

Oh my...I can't believe that! You never think natural disasters will affect you. Stay safe and I hope everything dies down soon!

SandyKay said...

Hi Guys! Wow ~ What a wild time for all of you. I think you should come home and be safe :-). We are going to be down there over the 4th ~ Any chance you'll be there?

Keep safe and we send our love!

SK & Cy

The Alands said...

Heather, that is crazy. My brother-in-law lives in Cedar Rapids. office was completely flooded. I am glad you are safe.

Whitney Jensen said...

HOLY COW!!!! I've been wondering if you guys were in the middle of it all - guess I don't have to wonder anymore! You better hurry up and finish school and come back to Utah! haha

Lindsey P said...

i've been watching the flooding on the new and was seriously about to call you to see if it was close to you guys. So i'm glad you posted this and I'm glad to know that you guys are safe. I hope it gets better soon! I'll probably call anyway, but i'll give you some time cuz probably everyone you know is calling!

love you, stay safe and keep us updated.

McGiven Family.... said...

Heather that is crazy. My mom says those are all the places they used to take their kids when they were there. I can't even imagine. You have had quite the experience there! I hope everything is going well. Congratulations on your big 5 year anniversary! Stay safe...love ya!

Natalie said...

Avery wants me to tell you that she loves you. And that she likes the picture of Hallie's bum. And she likes your music. :)
And those pictures are CRAZY! I wish I could see it all in person.

Anonymous said...

Heather and Aaron, I love looking at your blog. So sad about the floods there. Keep safe, we love you.
Hallie is getting so grown up.
Jess and Jill have a blog now, you can find it on Jenny's.
Love, Kristy

Scott and Beth said...

HOLY CRAP!!! What an adventure! Good idea to get your kits together...scott's family is huge on that stuff. Like everyone else I wish you would come home....can't wait to see you in Aug.

Laura said...

Dang. That's so crazy. I'm glad you guys are safe. Did your house get flooded and ruined?

Beth said...

That is so out of control. It is so hard to imagine that much rain coming out of the sky! I didn't know it was so close for you guys, I'm glad you are all safe! Hope all is well, I can't believe that you guys have been married that long! How are you feeling????

shay said...

I can't believe those pictures! It brought tears to my eyes seeing those oh, so familiar places, now under water! It's so surreal to me! It's so weird that we missed everything by only a couple of days! Glad to hear your okay!

Jen said...

Im glad you guys are ok. You have been in our prayers. I cannot believe those pictures! Crazy ! Love Ya, be safe!

Amberly said...

How scary!!! When I heard what was happening on the news I was worried about you and hoping that your home was alright. What a blessing that your house is OK! Things like that make you glad your prepared. It must be crazy to see something like that.

Beth said...

So slacker...I am thinking it might be time for you to update??? Just kidding I am sure you are going crazy trying to get ready for the new baby and the move here! I am so excited to see you!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Okay Heather let's get on the ball here and update. It's not like your almost nine months pregnant or anything.