March 31, 2009

Grandpa Dick

Leland Richard "Dick" Briggs

August 6, 1917 -March 27, 2009


Leland Richard "Dick" Briggs passed away at his home, surrounded by his loving family, on Friday, March 27, 2009. He was born on August 6, 1917, son of John and Florence Emma Briggs, at Burnt Fork, Wyoming. He attended high school in Ogden, Utah. He married his high school sweetheart, Gladys Benson, on February 14, 1940 in Manila, Utah. Their marriage was later solemnized in the Idaho Falls Temple on October 21, 1960.


Dick lived most of his adult life ranching with his father, three brothers, and son, Boyd, south of Dillon, Montana. During his life in Montana, he was a master stockman, a member of the Montana Wool Growers Association and Montana Cattlemen's Association. He created many memories with family and friends while hunting and fly fishing on the Red Rock River. In his younger years he was an outstanding calf roper in the rodeo circuit in Montana.


After many years of ranching, he retired to Kalispell, Montana near his daughter, Dicksy. In 1986 they moved to Orem, Utah, and later lived with his daughter, Robin. He loved golfing, playing until he was 90 years of age. He also enjoyed gardening, bird feeding, and caring for his sweetheart, Gladys. He dearly loved his grandchildren and great grandchildren and lived for their phone calls and visits. Dick's greatest attributes were his Christ-like personality, his unmatched hospitality and his selfless acts of kindness.


He is survived by his children, Harold Boyd (Diane) Briggs, Dillon, Montana; Dicksy (Bob) Rhoads, Provo, Utah; Robin (Danny) Olsen, Orem, Utah; and Teena (Jim) Ploeger, Gilbert, Arizona; 17 grandchildren, 39 great grandchildren; brothers, Jack (Allowee) Briggs, and Hugh (LaRue) Briggs; and numerous nieces and nephews.


He was preceded in death by his spouse, Gladys; and brother, George Harold.


Funeral services will be held on Thursday, April 2, 2009 at 11:00 a.m. in the Lakeview 6th Ward chapel, 2168 South 140 West, Orem. Friends may call at the Berg Mortuary of Provo, 185 East Center Street, on Wednesday evening from 6 until 8, or at the church on Thursday morning from 9:30 until 10:45. Interment will be in the Eastlawn Memorial Hills Cemetery. Condolences may be sent to info@bergmotuary.com.

9 comments:

Beth said...

(Tears...) but I know that your grandpa must be so happy to be back with your grandma. Sorry you are so far away, I know that must be hard. But he for sure knew how much you loved him. That part I know.

Love ya.
(more tears...)

Teed Family said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Carly said...

Heather I am so happy you got to go home to be with your Grandpa. I know how much you loved him and what an important part of your life he was. I want you to know I am thinking of you and your family. Love you guys!

SarahandJD said...

Heather, I am so so sorry about the passing of your grandpa. I can only imagine how sad it is to loose someone you have been so close to you throughout your life. I'm thinking of you and your fmaily. Love ya

The Alands said...

I wish I could have come to the funeral today, I hope everything went well. I am so sorry for your loss. Your grandpa always made me smile. Know that I am thinking of you and your family.

Jen said...

Heather, I have been thinking a lot about you this week. I am praying for you and your family during this hard time. Love and miss you! P.S. Nate is looking at this blog and said, "Is that Pay-en" about your sidebar pics. We love you guys!

Lindsay Ercanbrack said...

So sorry to hear about this...tough time huh! Love you guys and hope everything went well. On a lighter note...I set up a park day this next Tues (April 7th) at 11 a.m. (the park right by Mountain View. We would LOVE to see you if you are still here and can come. Check your email for more details...

Jen said...

Heather my heart aches for you and your family. I know what your grandpa meant to everyone. he was the sweetest cowboy ever! I love him very much. He will truely be missed by all. Im happy he is with his sweetheart. What an example they both were to all of us. Love Ya!

Mike and Lindsey Ploeger said...

What can you say about a truley amazing man? I dont think words can quite some it up! I feel blessed to have been able to have memories with Dick (although they were few, they will never be forgotten) I know Michael loved him dearly and you all are so blessed to have had such a wonderful dear Grandfather :o) I know his spirit will live within all of you. What a wonderful family you guys have.