February 6, 2010

We're Going on a Leaf Hunt

Today I was getting into my jewelry box and saw a little leaf awaiting me. I smiled and placed it on my dresser, only to realize I had five other leaves sitting there too that my little Hallie had given me earlier. It made me smile to think how such small things can make a child so excited and happy. It will be a sad day when these types of days are gone. Finding a tiny  flowerweed drowning in a cup of water by my bed, pictures, leafs, etc. will all be missed. I am enjoying it while it lasts. Hallie LOVES leafs. Everyday at least a couple times Hallie will find "the perfect leaf" and say, "Mommy, I have a surprise for you! Close your eyes, hand out!" I learned my lesson fast to make sure I keep them around for awhile because Hallie would ask me days later, "Mommy, you still got that little/big/shiny/cruncy leaf I gave you?"


About a month ago we went on a leaf hunt with the girls (crazy that in December the leaves are finally falling) . They loved it. Peyton thinks she is just as big as Hallie. She doesn't want anyone to touch her or help her.

We made a couple art projects with all the leaves they collected.  The girls had a blast. I love being a mom! Today was a reminder for me to cherish the small little things because they will be gone before I know it.

11 comments:

Swensons said...

Your girls are seriously getting WAY to big! I look at both of them and think about little shy Hallie that wouldn't talk to anyone but her mama and Peyton who couldn't even talk much less find herself in the toilet! I love it!
Super cute
and what a great photographer by the way! VERY IMPRESSED

Carly said...

Ok it's official! We're moving to Texas! Ok, not really but I wish we were hunting leaves right now. I made the mistake of telling Laney that we were going to take a trip to visit you. So now every morning she packs a suitcase because she is going to see Hallie and Baby Peyton (I think she is going to be disappointed to find out Peyton is no longer a baby!). Seriously we love you guys! If the weather wasn't so terrible to drive in I would probably be coming to see you tomorrow.

Michelle said...

oh, I wish Zac could get over the Texas thing and we could move and be by you. I would do anything to go outside to play. Running around the couch all day is getting old. Looks like another 3 years in Iowa for us!

Chelsea said...

You are so mean to talk about leafs. First, it means you are going outside and not freezing. Second, it means you can actually see the ground instead of trying not to slip on the ice and fall into the nasty brown snow. Ahhh, don't worry, texas will be on our residency list, I'll make sure of that...

Edwards Family said...

Hallie is such a sweetheart! I love how the simplest things make kids happy. I cannot believe how big Peyton is! She is so cute and I love her red curly hair. Nursery already?! I bet that is so nice.

Natalie said...

That's funny! We totally did the same thing, only in the Fall, when leaves really are supposed to fall :)

Chelise said...

All I can say is... I miss you guys! So much.

Heidi Miller said...

I wish we had some leaves here. Nope, they are all frozen. :( You are SUCH a cute adorable good creative mom.

Sarah said...

OKay for a second there I thought these were old picutres from the fall that you had to post.....and then I realized....no...they just live in a WARM place.
Those two cuties are getting big and beautiful just like their momma!

Katie Muir said...

Oh my gosh- your kids are so cute and it looks like you guys are doing so well! What's your email? I don't know that I've ever sent you an invite to our blog and I'm so sorry about that!! katie_muir06@yahoo.com

Jen said...

oh I miss your girls... and you too:)