March 28, 2010

My Insights for the Day


I found Hallie standing in my closet with my high heels on as she was perusing through my jewelry box. We were running late to go somewhere and I said, "Hey Hallie, you ready? We gotta hurry babe." She calmly grabs the first necklace she sees and clomps her high heeled self into the bathroom. As she is climbing up onto the stool she says, "Just a minute, I need to make sure I look okay." I smile and watch. She takes literally two seconds to stare in the mirror, give herself a big smile and says, "Yep! I'm perfect! I look perfect Mom. Let's go."

I know it was so simple but my little Hallie just got me thinking. (she seems to secretly teach me things all the time.) Why can't I or others think of ourselves as a little 3 year old girl does? Why don't I ever just take a few seconds and say, "Yep! I'm perfect!" when I look in the mirror instead of automatically finding 10 things to pick apart about myself? We train ourselves to do the opposite. Why can't we just learn to love ourselves and be thankful for what we are?

The same day while we were at the store, I came across a beautiful girl who had severely deformed lips. She acted happy, confident and full of life. I walked away from that store full of emotions. I just started thinking, how stupid it sounds to complain or be unhappy with my little insecurities. I am so blessed to have a body, to have my health, be able to live normal everyday. When I look at it in that type of perspective, it sounds so silly to even worry about the fluff stuff. Who really cares. When I think about the people I love. I don't think about what they looked like, what they were wearing, etc.. I always walk away remembering the way they made me feel. And that is what's important.

This lesson must be one that I need to work on because the next day I read THIS POST by my lovely sister. She's awesome! And such a good example to me. So...this is my insight for the day. We need to love ourselves! And just Be HaPpY with who we are.

"The talent for being happy is appreciating and liking what you have, instead of what you don't have."

6 comments:

Chelsey Meier said...

Love you sister! You put it so perfectly! You are amazing!

Amberly said...

You are so right. Emma is the same way, and I am always thinking that I want to help her stay that way. I hope she keeps all her self confidence and feels better about herself than I do about myself. You are right though, I need to work on just be grateful for who I am. You are such an amazing person. Miss you. I wish I could have seen you when you were here. Next time you need to call me. LYLAS. Ha ha.

brandandbrit said...

I agree. You are so right. Thanks for posting that. I needed it.

Chelise said...

Love this post :)

Okay, the last post totally made me cry! First, because I was laughing at you dancing in the bear suit, and then second because of your mom's reaction, it was so sweet. I guess I am a little emotional!

Chelsea said...

What beautiful thoughts. Thanks

Natalie said...

Love this. Hallie is such a cutie, and I love that our kids bring back our innocence in a good way. And you are so beautiful I hope you always remember that. If we don't model it to our kids, they'll never see it anywhere else in their lives :) Love your butt Ho!