Shrieking Screaming STINKER
I love my little Peyton. But there is something I do NOT love. Peyton screams. LOUD! I can take a lot of things, but screaming is definitely not one of them. Which is probably why I was blessed with a child that has a huge set of lungs that can make me cringe with her shrieking scream.
At home when she screams, we do time outs. And I am consistent. As soon as she's on time out, she'll sit there and wait. It's actually pretty funny. Then when I go to talk to her, this is usually the face I get when I tell her to look at me.
She closes her eyes, tries not to smile, finally smiles and laughs and thinks she's so funny. I'll give her the little speech, she'll say, "saw" (sorry), kiss me and run off to play. It works for a bit but then as soon as she wants something or Hallie did something to her, the shrieking scream is back, the time out begins and we do it all over again.
The real problem however, is in PUBLIC! She HATES to be in the cart/stroller. And starts screaming bloody murder as soon as I begin to put her in. Now if I pick her up and hold her, she is as happy as can be. But do you really think I'm going to hold her in one hand and push the cart with the other? I don't think so. I've tried a few different things but am really struggling. I REFUSE to give up my shopping all because I have a screaming child! She will learn to love to shop dangit! Hallie is my best shopping buddy ever! Maybe I didn't start Peyton soon enough :). j/k.
And it's not just shopping in public. Libraries, doctor's visits, church, restaurants, etc. It is embarrassing. My patience is running out.
I know she thinks if she screams loud enough or long enough, she will get what she wants. Timeouts are somewhat beginning to work at home but in public what do I do? I've tried ignoring her hoping she would eventually give up and stop. But seriously! People look at me like I'm abusing my child. The other day some worker even came into my isle giving me dirty looks while pretending to straighten things just to make sure I wasn't abusing her or something. I've taken her into the car for time outs numerous times but as soon as we are back in the store it starts all over again. And if I give her the look and say, "don't scream!" She gives me the look right back and screams even louder while hitting me in the face. I've packed fun toys, snacks, etc. But those only last so long.
HELP! I know I need to just have a plan and stick with it and eventually she will learn. But I need a plan. Does anyone have any tips/solutions/encouragement on how to stop this? Much appreciative for any advice! Because I am about to lose my mind.



8 comments:
Oh you poor girl. No advice from me, only the expectation that the exact same thing will happen to me. Maybe practice using the stoller at home and going on walks to the park but if she screams she can't go play? Good luck!
My 3 year old, Cade does the same thing!! It drives me insane. He has such a loud voice, too. He screams back at me too when I tell him no. They are STINKERS!! Try giving her a sucker or something for her mouth so she is occupied. :) or does she like those humongous carts that are cars in the front?
I'm going to check back in a few days and see what other people have suggested, cause i need advice too!!
I'm sorry I think it's a little funny, probably because I've been there. I don't know that you can take the "screamer" out of her, but she can learn to keep it short and sweet :) Maybe you could try timeouts in the store, I've done it before. Sit them on some ledge somewhere, or stop your cart and scoot back aways until she has calmed down. I don't know :) Good Luck!
Well, another thing that makes our girls soooo similar! Savannah is sooo loud too! And she is now 4, it hasn't calmed down much. Sorry to tell you that...Except now she is yelling at her little brother! And it's not screaming, but yelling really rudely in her deep little voice! But I use the hot sauce option, soap option or taking stones out of her rewards jar etc. etc.
Peyton is so little still, I wish I had some good advise! I think suckers work the best! Just get the big ones, cause dum dums don't last but maybe 10 seconds! I like the idea of just taking away privileges. Give her a warning, then discipline. Make sure the warning has a concequence! sorry, Im not much help...I am going to keep checking back too! (oh, just make sure you have wipes handy if you do choose suckers!)
Hmm, I just thought of something...what if you talk to her in a whisper? Whisper in her ear when you talk to her, when you are consoling her, when you are singing to her etc...maybe that would help her practice her "soft" voice? I LOVE whispering with my kids! It's so intimiate! Christian will always say "Shhh" now when it's bed time, or if someone is still sleeping, it's so cute!
Oh Heather! I'm sorry! Come play at my house instead of shopping next time. =) I always pack lollipops. They seemed to lengthen my shopping trip a bit. Good luck! I think you are such a great mom.
Just looking at Peyton's face makes me laugh....hang in there!
I have absolutely no advice as you have seen how well I control myself when Micaela is being a pill but I just have to say that you can always take Micaela and I will keep Peyton when you want to shop. Micaela loves the mall but if you don't go to enough stores then she will get mad.
i have no advice either. It sounds like Peyton is similar to my little Rebekah. :) Feisty. :) Good luck!! I miss you.
Post a Comment