September 4, 2007

Done with Pets




These are the stupid geese! (or I guess I'm the stupid one for getting so close)


K, I was reminded today that I am SO NOT an animal/pet person. Seriously, I have the worst luck. Today a bunch of us went to Dane's Dairy "Petting" Farm and some dumb goose bit me and Hallie on the arm. It was kinda funny though. They were in a gated area and we bent down in front of the gate to get a picture. All of the sudden I feel this pinch on my arm and see the goose's head poking through the fence getting me. So I yelled and then two seconds later I hear Hallie crying and see the goose getting her too. She totally has a mark on her arm from the stupid goose. It was still fun. Hallie didn't care too much to see anymore of the animals after that but to be honest, I think that she has seen more farm animals in this one summer than I have in my whole life! Guess that's what happens when you live in Iowa :) Which reminds me that I still haven't posted any pics from the good ol' State Fair. Anyways, I think Hallie got over the goose bite real quick when she got to devour an ice cream cone after (thanks for the pics Jen).

Second reason I'm done with animals...I can't even take care of a fish. Hallie is pretty obsessed with goldfish lately. Anytime she sees a fish in a book or anything she makes the little fishy face and a funny noise (I think she is obsessed because Elmo has a goldfish). So awhile ago we took her to the pet store and got her 3 goldfish. They are great and all, but seriously...I didn't know that they pooped so much and that I'd have to clean the bowl! I have the worst luck with animals that I honestly thought (and secretly hoped) they'd die before it came time to clean the bowl. Let's just say it was quite the experience. One almost fell in the toilet with his poop and I had no idea what I was doing. I almost lost one too. I finally got them to jump into a cup so I could clean out their bowl and when I came back, one was missing!!! It had jumped into the sink. And so I had to touch it and put it back in the bowl. Gross!!! When I touched it, it brought back a flashback to my highschool days when our entire cheer squad had to eat a goldfish! And the girls that chickened out I thought were such weenies! I think I would be the weenie now. (Sarah, I hope you weren't the weenie, I can't remember :))Anyways, so this wonderful pet day has reminded me why I don't care for animals. I think I'll wait until Hallie is old enough to clean up it's poop. Sorry for the tangent, I just had to vent because Aaron is gone :) We will be so glad when his 6 pm to 9:30 a.m. shifts are over!!

8 comments:

Jen said...

Heather! You crack me up. I can hear you saying, "Ew" and "gross" when I read this blog! That goose was crazy, but to be fair, Mr. Danes warned they would bite! Poor little Hallie. You guys are good sports. We were so glad you came! p.s. I would have never believed you swallowed a goldfish!

Jessie Riley said...

OK. CUTE HEATHER O'Brien. I just started lurking on your blog... thanks to Sarah's refrence to your CUTEST BACKGROUND... and I'm gonna stalk you until you teach me how to do it! Kidding. But, REALLY... please do tell!

Um, Send me and email and I'll send you an invite to my bloggy-land!
Your little girl is SO STINKIN CUTE!
Jessie
jessieriley@hotmail.com

McGiven Family.... said...

As I was reading about the goldifsh I was thinking about the high school days and then you wrote it. Heck no I swallowed one of those stupid things, Lance put it in my mouth and jiggled it back and forth. I think I threw up after too!

Anyway, I think the sooner you can get your kids to hate animals and not want a pet the better. I am working on it. I killed every animal I ever had. Remember the turtles you and Whit tumbled down the stairs?!? Yeah they died too! But I can't believe a goose bit you and Hallie that is so funny!

I love you, you crack me up! Sorry Aaron has such crappy shifts. It will get better but probably not for a while! Actually, not to discourage you but my dad still has crappy shifts! Good luck!

Bullard Family said...

I laughed so hard when I thought of you with the goldfish. I am totally with you on the pet things. I feel like I clean up way too much poo during the day, why would I want to add another something to pick up after?? I love the pictures of Hali with her icecream!! She is so darling. Please take me up on my offer to watch her!
Andrea

Anonymous said...

Love my little Hallie eating her ice cream. Heather you are crazy! Did I not train you to stay away from geese? They can get quite ferocious!! You always said the only pet you would let your children have would be an electric fish. So happy you caved in and got a real fish. Is it still alive? Don't ya love to clean that fish bowl!

Miss you so much. We got Hallie's picture in the frame on the mantel. Makes me smile just to walk by it.

Love you guys so much!!
Mom

Dave and Tricia Folsom Family Fun said...

Even though you were attacked by geese it looks like you had fun. Hallie is getting so dang big! Love the pict. of you two together!

Natalie said...

I love you Heather! I totally miss you so much whenever I read your blog! Hallie is so cute, and I love your stories. My theory with pets is that I'll wait until one of my kids is old enough, persistent enough, and smart enough to ask Santa for one. Then I'll be stuck, and I'll have to get one. I can't believe that you got a pet before I did! You are such a cute mom. I was thinking of you when I dropped Carston off at preschool and what a good job you would do with a preschool. You are the best and I love you.

Jess said...

Ha Ha, I was laughing so hard when I read this! So many fond memories came back... I forgot we swallowed those goldfish! Who made us do that? I think it was Brett Stewart. Don't worry I kill every pet I have had too. About 4 years ago I got two gerbils, and I named them Mary Kate and Ashley. Well I woke up one morning to feed them and Mary Kate had eaten Ashley... YUCK-O! I don't know why I got those things in the first place. I hate animals!